British Consulate General İstanbul
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Consulate General in Istanbul is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, security, economic and consular interests overseas and is looking for a Project Officer. The job holder will work as a Project Officer in the UK’s Syria Joint Programme Team. The Joint Programme Team, based in Amman, Istanbul and Beirut, is providing c£50 – 60m of support to Syrian communities to help stabilise and address the causes and consequences of conflict in Syria. The job holder will act as the deputy to programme managers for three major HMG projects operating in Syria, delivering vital protection and stabilisation benefits to Syrian populations in need: supporting the Syrian Civil Defence (the White Helmets), the Access to Justice and Community Security project (the Free Syrian Police) and the UK’s bespoke Stabilisation Response Mechanism.
The jobholder will be expected to help provide sound financial management of the UK’s wide-ranging portfolio of programmes seeking to bring about a solution to the Syrian conflict.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the design, development and oversight of UK stabilisation projects in Syria. Working with programme managers to ensure that UK supported projects deliver results and value for money, and ensuring that all reporting and compliance tasks are completed, including Annual Reviews and Project Completion reports and other transparency requirements;
- Manage the finances and procurement processes of the UK’s Syria programmes. It will be necessary to build up in-depth knowledge of each programme’s projected and actual spending pattern, working closely with programme managers and implementing partners, to produce accurate forecasts informing future budget allocations;
- Work closely with finance colleagues in London to ensure invoices to implementing partners are logged and paid in good time. Additionally, the successful candidate will be required to support programme managers across the network (Amman, Beirut, Istanbul) to deliver their procurement and tendering processes in a timely fashion;
- Support the multi-donor Secretariat of the AJACS programme to oversee the work of our contracted implementing partners. This will involve taking minutes of board meetings, logging and tracking Secretariat decisions and actions, as well as ensuring these are then delivered in a timely and appropriate manner by the implementing partner.
- Application deadline 11 March 2018
- Grade B3 (L)
- Type of Position Full-time, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
- Working hours per week 36.25
- Region Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
- Country/Territory Turkey
- Location (City) Istanbul
- Type of Post British Consulate General
- Number of vacancies 1
- Starting yearly salary 105.070.24 TL gross per annum
- Start date 16 April 2018
For further details on this vacancy and to apply, please follow the link below:
Other Benefits and Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time one-year fixed-term contract with possibility for renewal by mutual agreement, for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week. Normal working hours are 08:30 to 16:45, Monday to Friday. The jobholder is expected to travel and participate in activities outside of these hours.
The annual salary for this position is 105.070,24 TL gross, B3 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits.The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General in Istanbul are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.
Additional InformationPlease note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.Required Skills
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Professional experience in the field of programme, project, or budget management;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, in particular MS Excel;
- Availability to travel to Gaziantep on a regular basis;
- Fluent in English;
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Hold a Degree in International Relations, International Development or related field;
- Previous experience in an administrative role would be an advantage;
- Knowledge and / or experience of working in the Syria context would also be an advantage.
- Fluency in Arabic.
- Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace