International Finance Corporation
The Energy & Resource Efficiency (E&RE) unit provides advisory services in three primary areas: Power (including generation, transmission and distribution), Resource Efficiency (including energy, water, and raw materials), and Energy Access.
To support our work, IFC is seeking a Senior Process/Chemical Engineer, Energy and Resource Efficiency, on an international basis with broad geographical and sectoral experience, who can both deliver direct advisory services in the Middle Eastern and North Africa (MENA) region by leading client engagements resulting in the implementation of resource efficiency and clean energy investments by our private sector clients as well as manage our new regional Resource Efficiency platform program. IFC is preparing a new multi-year multi country advisory program whose objective is to support improvements in resource efficiency and energy reliability in those industries/sectors which are strategically important in the region which includes scaling up of investment in climate finance throughout the region with a strong demonstration effect which will incite replication. This will be achieved by catalyzing investment in energy efficiency solutions, captive and clean energy alternatives, and water efficiency.
The Program will (i) advise specific companies on adopting and investing in resource efficient solutions; and (ii) work with groups of companies and other stakeholders on market/sector level to address market barriers and facilitate replication of advanced solutions across the market. This program is aligned with IFC investment services strategy to serve clients in the following sectors: energy intensive industrial sectors (e.g. cement, glass, fertilizers and chemicals), food processing and agribusiness, as well as the textiles sector, and will focus efforts in the selected priority countries as defined by the regional strategy.
The position will be based in Istanbul and the candidate will report to the MENA Energy & Resource Efficiency Regional Lead.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment. JOB DESCRIPTION DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES: The Senior Process/Chemical Engineer will assume responsibility for overall management of the MENA platform program, including leading direct client work scoping and delivering client-facing advisory engagements providing energy and water solutions to IFC existing and prospective clients. We define energy solutions as a combination of energy efficiency and distributed energy generation solutions. Water solutions are defined as a combination of water efficiency and optimal operations of on-site water preparation and waste water treatment.
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
1. Strategic and operational planning
• Manage the MENA regional resource efficiency advisory Program by directing all aspects of program implementation to meet program objectives per agreed upon targets and implementation schedule. Program management includes project planning, staffing, management and direct delivery of client engagements, engagement with IFC industry departments, supervision and quality control of all deliverables (in particular client level technical advice – see Section 2 below), engagement with IFC financial management staff on program budgeting, managing and overseeing procurement activities as relevant, supporting fundraising efforts, and overall program reporting;
• On an annual basis work with EMENA Technical Lead for Resource Efficiency, the Global Resource Efficiency Technical Lead, the MENA E&RE Regional Lead, as well as Investment department stakeholders and clients to develop and keep current, client and sector level engagement plans aligned with IFC business interests;
• Taking the lead to identify clients, market opportunities and projects, pitch IFC services to potential clients, reach agreement with the clients and put together implementation teams (in collaboration with Global and EMENA Technical Lead for Resource Efficiency, Regional Lead and team member(s) who focus on specific countries).
2. Delivery to clients
• Design and deliver focused advisory engagements to IFC clients, including: : conduct initial walk-through assessments; define the business case of the intervention to clients and compose proposals and/or pitchbooks for detailed potential follow up work, define scope of potential in-depth support to client; directly deliver this advice or engage external consultants on as-needed basis to complement in-house expertise and oversee quality of their work; present results of engagements to management of the client company. This will also include:
i. Develop and maintain relationships with key Investment department stakeholders in MENA, in order to raise and maintain awareness of areas for collaboration in identifying opportunities to deliver value to clients;
ii. Defining target clients in collaboration with Regional Lead and Industry departments, including initiating mapping exercises and market assessments;
iii. Independently assess client consumption of energy and other key resources if applicable and current resource supply, including calculations of client peak demand and load profile and bill/fuel cost analysis;
iv. Conduct initial walk-through assessments (scoping visits) to validate initial assessment, collect additional information, and identify cost effective energy and resource efficiency investment opportunities;
v. Create client baseline scenario using combination of client data, metered data if available, spot measurements, and/or estimates based on installed equipment rating/ process need/ and operational requirements;
vi. Conduct comparative analysis of client energy and other key resources use (overall, and process specific) against industry best practice and global/regional benchmarks;
vii. Identify, analyze and estimate potential investments and calculate cost/benefit of resource efficiency and captive/distributed renewable energy investments including opportunities in waste heat and waste gas conversion; including both low cost ‘good housekeeping’ options and more capital intensive measures;
viii. For captive energy options, assess local grid interconnection requirements, assess current tariff structures and fuel costs, as well as various combinations of energy or heat supply sources to more accurately assess opportunities for cost effective interventions as well as opportunities to optimize the financial viability of proposed interventions and solutions;
ix. Identify and gain understanding of client’s needs, development plans and priorities through consultations with client technical staff and management;
x. Provide independent review and due diligence of existing client ideas and proposals related to energy and efficiency as required;
xi. Provide detailed technical support for design of action plan for implementation of measures identified from IFC advisory intervention and ultimately selected by the client;
xii. Provide technical inputs/specifications to clients for their use in bidding/procurement of identified measures;
xiii. Undertake early stage pre-feasibility financial analysis of the viability of recommended project opportunities which would be the subject of in depth engagement with the client, which can substantiate the cost/benefit and value of the services provided to the client in exchange for fees charged;
xiv. Directly provide quality assurance assessment to client during implementation of services to the client including supervising and providing quality control of any consultant delivered services to the client; and
xv. Ensure early stage engagement with senior level representatives of client companies in order to secure internal champion of IFC Advisory work, and to whom the final deliverables will be presented and engaged on ensuring implementation of recommended results.
• Develop and maintain client relationships in MENA priority countries jointly with the Leads and in close cooperation with IFC investment teams;
3. Implementing sector level work
• Support market/sector scoping efforts in priority countries in order to identify and prioritize regional, sector and client level opportunities in coordination with internal WBG partners and stakeholders;
• Provide guidance to and quality control over external consultants to conduct sector/technology studies with an objective to boost adoption of most effective energy solutions;
• Represent the E&RE Program in seminars, conferences, other sector events.
• Contribute to corporate knowledge base and share effective approaches with team members and other IFC units, develop case studies and other materials based on client experiences; SELECTION CRITERIA: • Master’s degree in process or chemical engineering or equivalent and at least 10 years of relevant experience;
• Technical background/competency in IFC target sectors with recognized track record in delivering consultancy/technical advice or contributing/supporting investment projects in industrial resource efficiency/captive energy consultancy assignments is essential;
• Proven experience with clients in construction materials (cement, glass, steel, etc), textiles, pulp and paper, petro-chemicals, fertilizers, and/or agribusiness/food processing sectors is a plus;
• Demonstrated ability to deliver innovative sector level work with demonstrated track record of results;
• Ability to undertake financial feasibility assessment applying financial modeling skills as appropriate
• Self-starter with strong organizational, and problem-solving skills, including ability to demonstrate the business case for improving energy and resource efficiency for private sector clients;
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely for expert and non-expert audiences, including ability to communicate technical and financial aspects of E&RE projects to diverse audiences;
• Excellent communication skills including client relationships, presentation skills and negotiation skills;
• Results-oriented approach with demonstrated history of accomplishments;
• Well networked within the professional community in relevant industries;
• Experience working in MENA countries such as: Pakistan, Egypt, Jordan, Maghreb, etc, is a bonus;
• Fluency in English is required, ability to work in other regional languages is a strong plus.